FORGIVE LIKE JESUS



By Paul Dinakaran

Dearly beloved,

The Bible says that the Lord Jesus Christ has the authority to forgive sins. He also has the desire to forgive us. But whose sin does He forgive?

In the Bible, the Lord Jesus reiterates, “If you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you” (Matthew 6:14, 18:35, Mark 11:25, Luke 6:37).

I would like to quote a true incident. There was a big officer in a company. He caught hold of a clerk redhanded while stealing. The officer said to the clerk, “Come and see me in my room.” The clerk was terrified. He did not know what reason to give and escape from him. With tears, he went to the officer’s room.

When the officer asked, “Did you steal? Did you do that?” the clerk kept silent with tears in his eyes. The officer said, “Don’t worry! I was also in the same position as you are today. I was like you when I worked in my former company; I committed the same mistake as you did. My manager took pity on me and pardoned me and covered my sin. From that day, I started working sincerely. That is why I have been exalted to this position today. I will forgive you. Go and sin no more.”

Yes friend, the Lord forgives those who repent of their sins. In Luke 15:21, through the parable of the prodigal son, He revealed His wish to forgive. The son said to his father, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.” When he said this, did not the father forgive him?

The Bible counsels, “Forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you” (Colossians 3:13). Accordingly, let us forgive each other just as the Lord Jesus overlooked our shortcomings and forgave us. Then He shall be pleased with us.