A PEACEFUL HEART



By  Stella Dhinakaran

Dearly beloved,

God gives us perfect peace.

In this world, worries and tribulations of many kinds confront us. The Lord Jesus too says about this in John 16:33: “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." So do not be anxious about anything, but cast all your burdens on Him (Psalm 55:22). He will take care of you, fill you with peace and comfort you by giving you rest.

Job, the man of God, laments saying, "If only my anguish could be weighed and all my misery be placed on the scales!” (Job 6:2). That’s why our gracious Lord promises to give you His peace which the world cannot give (John 14:27). He says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest'' (Matthew 11:28).

On May 21, 1986, I lost my only daughter. Even today when I think of her, my heart breaks; grief and sorrow fill my heart. However, at such times of unbearable sorrow, if I had given room for depression saying that I had nothing more left in life, all these past years would have gone waste. On the other hand, I turned my eyes to the Lord Jesus and asked Him, “Lord, at this time, when I have lost all peace, what do You want me to do? I am a broken vessel. To whom can I go and tell about You? My heart is completely broken…” Hearing my tearful prayer, the Lord strengthened me, encouraged me and emboldened me with the power of His Holy Spirit. He filled me with divine peace which the world can never give.

Dearly beloved, if you keep on looking at the afflictions that surround you, the devil will afflict you more and more and make you miserable. Look up to the Lord even at such times of sorrow and pour out your burdens in His presence (Psalm 121: 1,2; 62:8). Then He will give you the peace which the world cannot give and grant you strength.

The woman called Hannah poured out her sorrow in the presence of God at a time when she was in anguish as she had no child (I Samuel 1:15). After that, her face was no longer sad. The reason was that divine peace which the world cannot give filled her heart. The Lord removed her lack forever and made her a blessed woman.

The Bible encourages us saying, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6,7). As said in this verse, do not be concerned about any matter but bring it to the Lord in prayer and place your faith in Him. Then the peace of God which is beyond understanding will protect your mind from doubts and confusions. Your steadfast faith will bring the answer from God.